More Coming Soon
The Cemeteries of New York section is used a tool to support and highlight cemeteries throughout the state. We will continue to update and share information and links to these sites as we continue to expand our role. The current information provided comes directly from the cemeteries's primary website.
Cemeteries of New York
Founded in 1838 and now a National Historic Landmark, Green-Wood was one of the first rural cemeteries in America. By the early 1860s, it had earned an international reputation for its magnificent beauty and became the prestigious place to be buried, attracting 500,000 visitors a year, second only to Niagara Falls as the nation’s greatest tourist attraction. Crowds flocked there to enjoy family outings, carriage rides, and sculpture viewing in the finest of first generation American landscapes. Green-Wood’s popularity helped inspire the creation of public parks, including New York City’s Central and Prospect Parks. For more information please visit the cemetery's website - click icon.
The Evergreens Cemetery was organized in 1849 as a non-sectarian cemetery, under the Rural Cemetery Act of 1847. The cemetery borders Brooklyn and Queens and covers 225 acres of rolling hills and gently sloping meadows. It features several thousand trees and flowering shrubs in a park like setting. The Evergreens is the final resting place of more than 526,000 people. It offers a selection of burial options including family lots (two graves and up), single graves (accommodates up to three interments when possible), an urn garden, community and private family mausoleums. Our new Chapel Mausoleum and Niches has been completed. The Evergreens Cemetery was named to the National Register of Historic Places.
For more information please visit the cemetery's website - click icon.
A cultural resource and a veritable outdoor museum, Woodlawn has been an active, 400-acre, non-sectarian cemetery from its inception in 1863. The cemetery was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2011 by the National Park Service. Its celebrated lot owners comprise artists and writers, business moguls, civic leaders, entertainers, jazz musicians, suffragists, and more, including Herman Melville, Joseph Pulitzer, Fiorello LaGuardia, Celia Cruz, Duke Ellington, Irving Berlin, and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. The cemetery’s unrivaled collection of monuments—including over 1300 mausoleums– were designed by.......For more information please visit the cemetery's website - click icon.
Trinity Church began searching for more burial space far from the ever-growing city by 1838. New York City had forbidden burial South of Canal Street fifteen years earlier and Trinity’s only useable burial ground, St. John’s, located about ten blocks North of Canal, was already filling up to capacity. In 1842, Trinity, after having reviewed several options, including space in the new Greenwood Cemetery, decided to accept an offer from Richard F. Carman for 24 acres in upper Manhattan. The property is today bounded on the East by Amsterdam Avenue, on the South by 153rd St., on the West by Riverside Driveoverlooking the Hudson River, and on the North by 155th Street. James Renwick Jr., best known as the architect ...........